Using the Internet
2022.10.20 ~ Ongoing I'm realizing that the sites I compulsively browse are mostly miserable. So I should probably do something about that.
In this "review" I scrutinize my use of the internet.
Sharing my difficult endeavor in the rare event it resonates with you and even marginally helps.
This page is changing as I figure out what makes me happiest, but here's where I'm at:
Flippin' the bird to the bird
- My biggest gripe with Twitter is actually the news section, so I am never looking at it again. It's irrelevant at best, aggravating at worst.
- Using uBlock Origin, I removed the Explore link and the Trending side panel thing. I don't even remember what it was called so maybe I'm already healing.
- El*n goin' wild with the promoted ads, eh? If you've got uBlock Origin, go to your Filter Lists, Purge all caches, and Update now. That seems to block 'em so far -- adios, asshole!
- Deleted the app from my phone.
- Unfollowed everyone. It was just a few official videogame/anime accounts anyways.
- So far this is the easiest to check the least. Scheduling tweets also helped. My mood has improved.
The flames of hell are #001935
- Tumblr time. I used uBlock Origin to block some stuff including the Radar and the banner that says to not block ads :-P
- New XKit is also doing things I forget. There's another newer XKit out there too I never installed. Might be useful.
- Now Tumblr injects posts by the account Featured onto our dashes, so I blocked that blog lmao... I can't imagine anything there will ever be relevant to me.
- Wish I could hide the trending section on phone app... but more on that later.
- I need to think about this one a little more... Come back later!
Like, Comment, and Do Crime
- For YouTube, using extensions AdBlock for YouTube and No YouTube Comments, which do exactly what you think.
- On and off I use Invidious instances instead but it doesn't always load well, and I'm a bit impatient... Gotta figure this out too.
- Thought about which channels I watch but don't even like... Ah, so they do the same shit every time, huh... So I stopped watching them.
Don't go chasing Waterfall
- I stopped using Waterfall social (a Tumblr "alternative"), mainly because it was down so much. Actually, I'm not sure if that site even exists now... Does anyone know what happened?
Phone app of crap
- I am one Alanis Morissette yodel-scream away from throwing my phone off a bridge.
- Didn't have many apps on my phone anyway, and with Twitter deleted that leaves me with Tumblr. I think I should delete it too, but it does give me something to do on the shitter... much to consider here.
- Even with so few apps, Tumblr needs to be updated regularly enough that the notification badge angers me.
- Wanna check these sites less. I won't miss anything important, and it'll give me a little more time to do cool shit. And it has been!
- Days & Times: Limited myself to visiting these sites only between certain times and/or on specific days. Not too difficult!
- Frequency: Now I am trying to figure out how many times a day I should visit during those times...
- There are extensions to enforce time limits or whatever but I'll try to do without for now.
- When I think to check a site outside of the dedicated days/times, I don't do it, but I feel like I'm having a mild cheese allergy. That might just be the cheese though. More recently that feeling has been replaced with excitement that I will get to check later.
- Deleted many bookmarks.
Neo Geo Pocket Adventure
- Happiest if I check the Activity page sporadically to see new/updated sites.
- I have mixed feelings about how exactly Neocities profiles and commenting work and... I don't have any groundbreaking suggestions so I'm leaving it at that for now, while I consider how I want to use, or not use, my own profile... x:
But Wait, There's More!
- This was last revised 12/21/2022, but come back later for more!
To be continued...
Back to Reviews